View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

February 19th, 2014

Old North Cup First Round

Wake Forest Cougars (APL) vs Charlotte Eagles (USL-PRO)

Attendence: 213
Odds: Wake Forest Win: 20-1 Draw: 11-2 Charlotte Win: 1-14 (Favorite)

Starting Lineup

GK: Gyan
DR: Arroyo
DC: Galvis (c)
DC: Marrow
DL: Coggins
DM: Pena
MC: Shakespeare
MC: Mora
AMR: Cooper
AML: Rose
ST: Navarro

SUBS: Tapia (DM/MC), Martin (AMR/L), Pace (ST), Pickering (D LC), Williams (DMC - just off injury), Sandoval (MC), Varela (DR)

It'll take me a little while to figure out a good rotation of subs.

Yeahhhhh... look at those odds. This is the almost certainly the most difficult opponent we will face this year. We could literally go 3 or 4 years without facing an opponent of this caliber outside of a friendly and it would not be a surprise.

We come out with a defensive mindset. I instruct my players to retain possession when possible and go at a slow tempo. Lets drag this out on the chance that Charlotte has a bad day.

10': They get into the area twice here, but a shot from the right side is blocked.

14': A poor pass by Charlotte gives us an interception in their end, a through ball goes into the box but it reaches the keeper before Navarro can run onto it. The keeper with a long pass, a run down the left, cross into the box and their man Bates volleys it in. 0-1

20': Another bad pass on their side gives us possession, Rose with a ball down the left side for Navarro, he crosses into the box for Cooper who heads it but wide. But its a decent looking attack against this caliber of opponent.

22': Cross into the area for their guy Bates, its a clear cut chance but Gyan blocks it. They get a corner though, and they get a head to the set piece and score. 0-2

31': A nifty quick 2 passes after a long ball sets them up for another easy goal. 0-3

HALF: They outshoot us 8-2, with 5 on target, none for us. About what was expected.

59': Rose finds Navarro for an easy goal but Navarro was literally standing in the 6 yard box by himself when the pass was made. Just a little bit offsides.

80': They have one disallowed too for offsides.

80': Martin, Sandoval and Tapia in for Cooper, Shakespeare and Mora, just subbing out tired guys.

That's it.

Wake Forest 0 : 3 Charlotte

No one below a 6.0 on our side, Arroyo actually held up a 6.8, not bad.

Our reserves only play once between now(Feb 19th) and our next match on March 8th. I get a friendly scheduled for March 1st to keep us playing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote