View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #154
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

So I went 3-3 in my first GRN quick draft (these are best-of-one matches instead of the competitive drafts where it's best-of-three). I wasn't really happy with my green-white Selesnya deck. I was able to flood the board with LOTS of creatures but not very many spells. So I won when I could overwhelm my opponent, but lost to decks with good removal.

And that brings me to my first key learning. I need to remember B(Bombs), R(Removal), E(Evasion), A(Aggro), & D(Dregs) in that order! I fell in love with my Bombs & Aggro and completely forgot removal & evasion until too late in the draft.

Afterwards, I watched a couple of videos where some suggest taking the best card for the first 4-5 cards, and then start making picks to support your cards. I committed too quickly and went down the rabbit hole.

But 3 wins is not too bad a start.

One footnote - I still have a long way to go to understand all of the rules and mechanics. I picked up a Demotion thinking this could be a nice way to stop my opponents card abilities. Alas, there are several types of abilities and each one is decidedly different (and treated as such). I played it on an opponents creature, and yet they were able to still use the cards ability.

Demotion stops "Activated Abilities", which I found out afterwards are:
Quote:
-Activated abilities include any abilities that require some sort of cost, and always include a colon. For example, the card Royal Assassin has an activated ability that reads: "Tap: Destroy target tapped creature."

It's one of the three main types of abilities: Activated, Triggered, and Static.

Examples of Static abilities include Shroud, First Strike, and Flying.

Triggered abilities require a specific event to occur. For example, the card Verdant Force has a triggered ability that says "At the beginning of each upkeep, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield." Other triggered abilities include some keywords like Morbid, which grants a bonus only if a creature died during its casting turn.

So... don't be afraid to look up the card text to make sure you understand exactly how a card mechanic works. I know I'll pay closer attention in my next draft.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote