View Single Post
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #204
TLK
Pro Starter

well this is it..... for anyone that has been following the story, I think it hits the climax over the next seven days.... here's an interesting post from the AR1 message boards, from somebody who claims to be an insider.... take it with a grain of salt, we'll see how accurate this ends up...

Quote:
Rumor Recap? (post #1)

Although, I do not post to message boards regularly, I thought I would share a recap on some rumors. Dispel some, add some and bring it all into perspective as Monday approaches.

Rahal-Gone. Maybe as early as Monday. Not as big a hit as people think because Kevin has a trick or two up his sleeve. Michel and Gigante going with him.

RuSport-No problem here. Committed and not going anywhere.

Haas-This depends on Rahal for the MOST part. But this might be one of Kevin's tricks.

Paul Gentilozzi-This is the one that is not getting ANY play anywhere, but could blow up tomorrow. Who knows. Here it is-he is out. Not out of ChampCar, but out as part of the OWRS group. This weekend was spent behind closed doors trying to figure out how to do this cleanly. I think more will erupt on this in the next 24-48 hours.

The War-This is bigger than the bankruptcy mess. Penske, George and Co. have declared war. The goal-no Long Beach. I am surprised here too that this not getting more play. This is the battle royale that will decide the future, plain and simple. And in the IRL's eyes, this can not be decided by a judge. Just money. Tony, Penske and Honda are funding this battle. The goal, a few succesive "shock and awe" blows to create confusion and "excitement". End game-take 5 owner/car/team combinations within the next 10 days.

Car count- the quiet goal now is 16 at Long Beach.

Kevin-He is the LEADER of the OWRS group now. Should have been all along as an aside. Paul Gentilozzi is a non-factor as a result of wrangling that took place this weekend. This is now Kevin and Gerry's show. Oh, and Mario's too.

Did I say Mario? Yes. Mario Andretti is in "Effect" replacing Paul. Again, another good move. This will gain steam over the next 24-48 as well.

Odds-The perception within is that OWRS has an 80% chance of taking the flag at Long Beach even with defections from Haas or Rahal or both. How? It was touched on in other posts-$$$$. Yes, Kevin's money will come into play straight away. Again, the goal is 16 and it is very achievable with Kevin quietly making sure the teams can answer the bell. Privacy is a good thing in a mess like this.

Carp-He will be in a Forsythe seat. The initial goal was Rahal, but the Rahal decision is made. The good news though- he will take the flag at Long Beach.

Cancun-The IRL will be in the streets of Cancun in 05. Its done. This is temporary while a permanent course is constructed.

The OWRS approach-it is going to change dramatically over the next 24-48 hours. Better, HONEST, PR as a result of Kevin now calling the shots. The ability to eat a bit of crow and help us fill in the blanks will turn out to be the saving grace. The Paul G. days are over. Kevin and Gerry are calling the shots while relying on Mario to be the "ambassador".

The contracts-No promoter cares about 18. Plain and simple. If they get to 16, all will be forgiven. There is no concern over the contracts. Its the promoters call and they have made it.

The Saviour- Kevin. Plain and simple.

My credibility- NONE. I just ask that you read between the lines and report back about my accuracy by this time next week.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote