View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #221
aej
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
My problem with the whole Dixon thing is that he doesn't deserve to even be mentioned for that ride. What has he done? Well he won IndyLights and is the defending IRL champion. The IRL races all ovals, while F-1 doesn't race ovals. Whe Dixon moved up after his IndyLights championship..... he sucked (for lack of a better word) in CART. With Chip Ganassi, who was a good CART team, he finished 8th..... not too impressive if you ask me. Based on the past year's racing in the US, the only person that deserves mention for F-1 is Sebastian Bourdias....

What he's done and how good he is are, almost, entirely different factors. I'm not up on CART and IRL these days (or really since Mario was a lad in USAC!) but not everyone can make the switch, in either direction, with the same level of competitiveness. I'm neither pro- nor anti- Dixon, just interested in the way his Ricard performance has been talked up on this side of the pond. Williams don't usually give test drives to people they aren't serious about, unlike some of the cash-strapped teams at the other end of the grid. With Dixon, Rosberg Jnr. and Piquet Jnr., among others, in the pipeline and Pizzonia seemingly back to his pre-Jaguar form they may have a surplus on their hands in seasons to come.