TLK
Pro Starter

Fisher Gives Lesson To Morning Audience

More About Sarah Fisher

Sarah Fisher Bio :: Sarah Fisher 2004 Stats :: Sarah Fisher Photos

By indyracing.com Staff
indyracing.com

Monday May 03, 2004

Sarah Fisher gave an enthusiastic Charles Gibson, co-host of ABC-TV's "Good Morning America," an overview of an IRL IndyCar® Series car during a segment on the show on May 3.

Fisher, the third woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500, was precluded from giving Gibson a ride in the IRL Experience gas-powered two-seater on the streets of Manhattan because of a persistent rain. But the precipitation didn't dampen Gibson's enthusiasm.

"What does it feel like going 220 mph?" was one of Gibson's many questions during the segment in front of the ABC-TV studios.

"It's a lot faster than you think," said Fisher, who will open practice for the 88th Indianapolis 500 on May 9 and attempt to qualify for her fifth 500-Mile Race on May 15-16 in the No. 39 Bryant Heating & Cooling Dallara/Toyota/Firestone she will drive for Kelley Racing.

"What sensation would I feel going around a track at 220 mph?" Gibson said.

"It's like a passenger plane when it takes off; that's what you feel," said Fisher, who drove the two-seater around the block a few times before the rain began.

Gibson, holding an umbrella over himself and Fisher, said: "Let's just put the top up."

The appearance was one of several for Fisher and IndyCar Series drivers Scott Sharp and Dan Wheldon in New York on May 3-4. Sharp and Wheldon will be interviewed on ESPN2’s “Cold Pizza” (7-9 a.m. EDT) and will be guests at a luncheon from noon-2 p.m. (EDT) at the ESPN Zone on Times Square on May 4.

Other IndyCar Series drivers also will be making appearances across the country on May 3 and 4. Adrian Fernandez and Bryan Herta will be guests at a luncheon at the ESPN Zone in Anaheim, Calif., on May 3. A.J. Foyt IV and Darren Manning will be guests at a luncheon at the ESPN Zone in Chicago on May 4.

Fisher’s first two 500-Mile Race starts were with Walker Racing, in 2000 and 2001. Each race she finished 31st. In 2002, she drove for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and qualified ninth at 229.439 mph, a record for a woman at the Speedway. She wound up 24th despite completing 196 laps. Last year, again with Dreyer & Reinbold, she placed 31st.

“There are only a couple of drivers who are in that arena hired in good quality, first-class stuff,” Fisher said. “And that makes me so happy to be hired on at Kelley (Racing).

“It’s really exciting to be part of a team that has a reputation of doing well at the Speedway. Even though it’s only one race for right now, I’m going to make the best of that one race as I possibly can.”

anyone else find it funny that the IRL brings out it's two-seater in New York..... about a week or so after ChampCar did the same thing? go figure....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote