View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 PM   #241
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
GORDON DROPS IN AT WILLIAMS
Last Updated: Tuesday, 11 May , 2004, 15:59

NASCAR star Jeff Gordon attended the Spanish GP as speculation grows over Williams’ 2005 driver line-up.

Gordon tested a Williams F1 car last year in a publicity stunt that also saw Juan Pablo Montoya drive a NASCAR racer.

Although he has said that he is too old for F1, this has not stopped speculation that he would jump at the chance if offered a top drive.

Gordon said: "I have had more opportunities to go to F1 in the last three years than I had when it was more realistic.

“Anybody who is a competitive driver feels we could do the job. That confidence is what makes us winners.

“If I got an offer from Ferrari or Williams I would have to think really hard. It would take a great deal of dedication.

“It would involve moving from the US, and a life change with totally different work-out and training and testing. It would involve learning the tracks, the competitors, the cars and so on.

“Maybe a 21 year old guy would be willing to do it but I am not so sure for a guy more towards the end of his career.

“Driving the Williams-BMW at Indianapolis was the thrill of a lifetime and I must admit that I was a bit frustrated after that because the cars are incredible. They do all the things I want my car to do in NASCAR!"

Gordon’s hopes of an offer from Ferrari are practically non-existent but, with two drives likely to be available at Williams next year, there is a slim possibility that the team might try to pull off a real coup and sign him up.

It would be a brilliant marketing move for the team and for the sport in general and could open the way to new sponsors across the United States.

However, such a deal would be fraught with risk for both driver and team, making it a remote possibility at the very best.

Williams are far more likely to opt for someone with an established F1 pedigree such as Mark Webber.

If they decide to take a risk on an untested driver, they are more likely to opt for IRL champion Scott Dixon, who tested for them twice earlier this year.

This would be huge for F-1 in America. I hear Williams may throw as much as $75 million his way.... will be interesting to see if he bites...
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote