View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #411
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Oh I don't doubt it. Luckily I had parents who were there to put me back on the appropriate side of the line & occasionally paint those lines with safety yellow paint if need be. That's the missing piece of the puzzle these days I guess, too many "best buddies" and not enough "parents". I don't find it mutually exclusive at all that I can absolutely lower the proverbial when necessary and still play Fallout 3 with him until 2 am while listening to Metallica & Godsmack. But the boundaries have to be the first priority regardless of the impact on the other stuff. Ultimately he can & will find other people to play games with, listen to music with, etc. but the boundary thing is a primary & essential parental role. My parents knew that, I think I've got a pretty good grasp of that, and hopefully he'll do the same with any eventual grandchildren someday.

well said. I also feel I was raised in such a way. My dad was my hockey coach for many years and was always tougher on me than on others, yet I knew I could turn to him when I needed him. The line was there though, and I'm sure, I know it made me a better person because of it.

That's always the thing with your kids though, they don't come with an instruction manual. So many things influence his thinking, his growing. In all, it's pretty incredible.

FM