View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #454
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Is there any good alternative just for weight and body fat % or is that Withings really worth it?

I like the withings because of the integration it has with so many things that I use as apps, and it is a very polished user experience.

That said, I don't think you're going to find any scale with an accurate body fat % reading. My withings scale doesn't have as much a range of error as your scale does based on what you said, but it is definitely not as accurate as doing a real body fat composition test.

For Scales, here was DC Rainmaker's recommendations from last year, as far as I know it has not changed that much (I'm not aware of much new out there at least):

Quote:
Looking at scales these days, cheaper is better. Ironically enough, the cheaper you get, the more features and technology advancement you seem to offer. I’ve previously recommend the Withings WiFi scale – and that scale still stands in the recommendations pile.
However, I’ve also been using the FitBit Aria scale lately as well as I prepare my review. It’s a bit cheaper, though they do have slightly fewer partnerships in the endurance sports log arena (though they like Withings have an easy API for developers to access). Both track weight well, and both track body fat poorly (remember my scale testing?).
The Withings WiFi Scale is generally about $160 and available from both Amazon and Clever Training.
The FitBit Aria scale is about $130 and available from both
Amazon and Clever Training.
Finally, for those looking for an ANT+ scale that connects to your various Garmin ANT+ watches and downloads the data straight into Garmin Connect, I recommend the A&D Lifesource ANT+ scale. It’s cheap, works just as well as those costing 2-10 times as much, and gets the job done…with an LCD display. And, it’s down to $60 these days, that’s nuts!
The Lifesource UC-324ANT scale is available from Amazon from $60 to $110.

My 2012 Sports Gadget Recommendations | DC Rainmaker

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote