View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 12:11 AM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This is the part that boggles me, just tbh.

I'll spare you (and everybody) the rant because my bullet points are likely pretty obvious anyway ... but damned if I can get my head around how some people are wired.

I think it's a combo of generational coupled with the way this school works & the kids its attracts. I give them a lot of latitude and it works, but I sort of expected naively that they'd sort of just gear up and "protect the house" when the alarm gets signaled and instead these parents don't make them do that...so the kids feel pretty empowered to be like "I have other stuff going on..." and I just don't think that would've flown in bygone eras.

Still, the sliver lining in that situation is that I got to give my 3rd doubles team a really tough match that wouldn't have happened for them otherwise & my 4th singles girl played the match that made me bring her to districts today...and that turned out to be a really smart choice, so even though it was stupid...

I feel like 1) getting rid of that win streak before next year was good, it was going to be an albatross of their necks for no real good reason and create undue pressure when they didn't need it -- regular season tennis here isn't that important -- 2) with our full lineup we'd have beaten that school 7-1 or 8-0 and it wouldn't have been a flex.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote