View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 11:49 AM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This week is state, every team qualifies all their players which in a state with no tennis courts, mad bussing shortages and erratic weather seems like a really bad idea. Nonetheless, the seed is based on how you did in the Regionals and you get matched against the lower seed from the other conference, at each flighted position.

Our girls are setup well to finish as high as second, first seems hard to imagine because the defending champs brought back their whole roster minus one kid, but...we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Boys goal is to get on the podium at state, last year they finished 7th but we might have the best 2nd singles player in the state after I had my 1-2 players share the 1 singles job on the boys side for half the year. It seems to have benefited the #2 kid a lot because he's playing better than I've seen him and he's truly handling these dudes. Our first doubles team is also super good and 1st singles is a grinder who is just a sophomore. If either of our 2/3 doubles teams can figure out how to get us at least 4th place, we should be able to score enough points to make a Top 4 finish plausible, maybe even 3rd but there's a lot of depth on the boys side this year.

Girls won the Regional (and Conference) Championship, with all 5 of our entries making the finals (and 3 of them winning) this was the 9th time the program has won a Conference/Regional title, but they didn't last year and this roster is almost entirely new (save for 1 singles and one of the doubles players) though we were helped considerably by our rival & the best team in the Region last year losing whatever talent they had and us being able to reload and get kids in the right spots.

If I do anything fairly well as a high school coach, it's being willing to futz with lineups and to give enough kids opportunities which ends up being a strength, whereas most coaches will keep their lineup static.

Boys finished 3rd in the region.

The boys finished the regular season 9-3, the Girls ended the year 8-4.

I've learned a lot doing this gig, though and I'm curious to see how it all ends up.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-09-2023 at 12:34 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote