View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 12:02 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Match 1 is out of the way and we won 5-3 (75-41) in a match where our depth bailed us out, despite what looks close. Our two freshman playing 1 and 2 singles were beaten by two opposing players who made state last year (including the 4th place finisher) and she's improved since we last saw her.

Our 2nd doubles team (half with a 9th grader also) fell short 4-6, 4-6 but it was a winnable match against a team that just gave them junk to hit and they could never get ahead.

I think this kind of thing will be the song and dance of our year, tho I do expect the freshman to settle down as the season goes on, opening day is not something I overreact to. Heck, last year we "only" won 6-2 against a middling 6A opponent which turned out to be our closest match of the year until the last one.

This is a different team than the steam engine I was piloted the past few years, and I kinda prefer it, in the sense that I know I have more influence across this lineup than I might have in past years.

The 2nd singles girl was down 2-5 in the 2nd set after losing the first and I hung out and watched it play out as she inched back to 5-5, with her serving to go up a break. She had it too but then I think the nerves got to her and she started pressing and ended up falling 5-7, but her composure to keep fighting and to be willing to adapt was comforting. (she was baselining a lot, refused to come to the net until we talked through it...and when she did, got better results, even though it's not the strongest part of her game.)

Anyway, a W is a W.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-23-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote