View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #165
revrew
Team Chaplain

Worst to first!
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

There were whispers in training camp. I didn't really believe them. At the halfway point of the season, I warned my readers not to buy in too quickly. And all along … I was wrong.

Worst to first!

At this time last year, Des Moines Dragons fans were staring at a 4-12 record, the second straight losing campaign in which the beloved Iowa boys were among the worst few teams in football. We were grumbling about a young quarterback who threw more interceptions than touchdowns. We hinted that perhaps Dragon Coach O'Dea had misplaced his trust in the young gun and that the Dragons might be better served with a different coach.

Oh, how different that all looks in light of THIS season. From last place in the division, to sitting atop our rivals with an 11-5 record and a playoff game to come, the Dragons are suddenly the golden boys of Des Moines again!

And you questioned the Coach! Tsk, tsk.

You doubted the quarterback? Have patience, football fans!

To be honest, Dragon QB Dakota Corriveau still isn't lighting it up, still isn't among the true game-winners of the NFL, but the resurrection of the Dragon D means he doesn't have to be.

In fact, little known or realized is that Corriveau ranks 6th in the NFL in completion percentage, while the Dragon D ranks No. 3 in completion percentage against. In today's passing league, that means we're winning games.

And with six defensive players (DEs Reese and Heuring, LBs Griffin and Clinton, and Safeties Plante and Barnes) playing at Pro-Bowl levels, the Dragons are #2 in the NFL in rushing the passer, #2 in stopping teams on 3rd down, and #3 in points scored against. THAT's winning.

Now the Dragons have done the improbable – risen from two years in the dumps to the top of the heap in the NFC North.

Congratulations, guys! We knew you had it in you!

(OK, we doubted at times. We grumbled and whined a bit. But …) Let us fans and pundits be doubters no longer! Our Dragons are legit. They're young. They're hungry. And who knows how much better they could soon become?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote