View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #67
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

McNeese's #1 had already thrown a 100 pitch complete game in Game 1. She was brought in with the game tied and gave up the GW hit. I'm not sure they trusted any other pitcher and thought it best to roll with the girl who had pitched so well up to that point.

A similar thing happened to Kentucky back in 2014 at the WCWS. They had 1 workhorse pitcher who threw every pitch for the team for the past month. They had a 7-0 lead against Baylor and then the wheels fell off. Baylor scored 8 runs in the final couple of innings (aided by a couple of errors) and they left her in even though she was completely gassed, and lost 8-7. They simply didn't have anyone else they trusted and felt like she was the best option, even if she wasn't at her best.

Softball has evolved some over the past decade to rely more on staffs, but that's really, at most, 3-4 pitchers (and usually 1 or 2 aces who pitch the bulk of the innings). It's not like baseball. If a team has 5-6 pitchers, it usually means they have none.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-22-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote