View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #711
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't think it'll happen anytime soon so not too worried about it but doesn't help the taking small steps approach to get more gun control.

I am not educated enough re: the 2008 case referenced below but the article (I think) says JPS wants to get rid of the 2nd amendment because of the 2008 case seems "off" to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/27/polit...ent/index.html
Quote:
Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens believes the students and demonstrators who protested this past weekend for gun control should seek a repeal of the Second Amendment.

"A concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the separate states led to the adoption of that amendment," Stevens wrote an op-ed published in The New York Times Tuesday, adding, "today that concern is a relic of the 18th century."

A lifelong Republican but considered liberal in his judicial rulings, Stevens pointed to his dissent in the 2008 landmark District of Columbia v. Heller case that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for self-defense within his home.

"That decision — which I remain convinced was wrong and certainly was debatable — has provided the (National Rifle Association) with a propaganda weapon of immense power," wrote Stevens, who served from 1975 until he retired in 2010.

He added, "Overturning that decision via a constitutional amendment to get rid of the Second Amendment would be simple and would do more to weaken the NRA's ability to stymie legislative debate and block constructive gun control legislation than any other available option."
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote