View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #532
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: the Maxwell and Torphy show
Let's not get too excited just yet, but the first signs...

Our offensive coordinator Clarence Byrd was generous. Correction: he was very generous. The bunch of rookies reported at the facilities to sign their contracts and for two guys in particular we were very anxious to find out what his third look of the two first round picks would be. Right now he believes that Ken Torphy is potentially the second best running back in the IHOF, while Calvin Maxwell is potentially second best wide receiver. Both on a 1-100 scale just a single point less impressive than the currently most talented player in the league. How about that!

I'm trying to temper my expectations. After all, I still remember the looks on faces of the staff and then my own shortly after we thought that Bryson Chow was going to be the best quarterback to ever play for the Merchantmen. What my OC is telling me now is close to similar: Torphy and Maxwell are the second best we ever had at their positions. Theodore Bondy barely trumps Maxwell, while Stanley Givens was slightly more talented than Torphy.

But training camp comes first, shortly after followed by the dreaded pre-season action. The latter a moment where players can look completely out of shape, never to recover from it. We remember what happened to Chow, when our assessment shifted from the best ever to, he's still playoffs caliber. Sure, the fans will certainly remember how we still made him our starter, how he turned into a franchise quarterback, statistically won just enough games to surpass Louie Flannery by a single win as #1 for the Merchantmen ever. But it was 2 seasons after his Hall of Fame enshrinement that we won our first and so far only IHOF Bowl.

So, trying to temper my hopes and all, but these guys, combined with Vinny Buysse, this ought to be a fun offense. If I figure out how to make a suitable game plan as well...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote