View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #409
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Ok so question for the book guys- how closely is the series to the book? I'm thinking of starting the books, I'd like to have the 2nd read by the time the next season starts. Is the book & series close enough that I could skip the first book- or should I read it to get everything? I'm loving the story and want more.

The show follows the books very closely. I have gone back and read bits and pieces of "A Game of Thrones" while I have watched the show and have been surprised at how well they've done it.

That said, read the first book. It's well worth it. Not only will you be lost a bit in book 2, like CW said, but all of the details and back story that you get in the first book really bring a lot of the events on screen even more to life.

There is a lot of time spent in the books about Robert's Rebellion to the extent that some of the characters who are long since dead but played major roles in those events feel as a real and fleshed out as some of the existing characters.

If you're loving the story and "want more" read them all. You will not be disappointed. I've read them all 4 times and always learn something new and take something different away with each read, so reading the first book should still feel very fresh even after watching the series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote