View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #429
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I have to say that this weeks episode really depressed me. I know from reading some critical analysis that bad things happen regularly to favorite characters in this universe and that might be ultimately a deal breaker for me. I could deal with the bleak disposition of The Wire because there was enough good, and enough of a connection to the bleakness of real life, for me to get through it. I'm not sure I'm ready for that same bleakness in my fantasy. No question the show is a good one, else I'd not have felt the emotion reaction I did, just not sure if in my limited TV time I am ultimately going to want something quite this dark.

There are definitely bad things that happen throughout the universe - to both bad characters as well as good. It's a very "shades of gray" type of universe. There isn't really anyone who's "pure good" or "pure evil" (Martin has stated as much in interviews).

I mean even Arya you might say is "pure good" but wait...she killed another little kid.

It's really a fascinating series, because there is nobody that's safe from the ramifications of their actions. You can totally fall for a character and think they've got their shit together and then all of a sudden realize that they don't - or that this world is a randomly cruel and unforgiving place.

I hope you continue to give it a chance and aren't turned off by Ned's death (as crushing as it was). I honestly think that when like...95% of the people that read the books read that scene we all threw our books across the room in anger and didn't pick them up for at least a day or two. Because, as some of the interviews that I've read have really said - in modern fantasy novels you expect the hero to survive and sneak his way out of everything and triumph at the end. And here you have this guy who's been built up as the hero of the first book/first season and he forsakes his personal honor at the last moment in order to save his kids, and then is killed anyways.

It's soul-crushing in a lot of ways yeah, but there are definitely "up moments" in the series as well, where the "bad guys" end up on the short end of the stick too.

And really what is bad? Everyone loves Dany, but if she manages to get over to Westeros with the Dothraki can you imagine how many innocent people would die as collateral damage?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote