View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #20
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Your composting plan sounds great. Many farmers here believe in and talk about healthy soil: soil that is rich not just in the right kinds of nutrients but also in organic matter and bacteria.

If there are horses or cows near you, I'd recommend filling the back of the Sienna with that too. Cow manure is best, but horse manure will do just fine and is usually free. Enough natural fertilizer and there will be no need to buy soil amendments for a home garden.
There's a farm with horses and cows less then 5 minutes from my house. (We're truly right between "the suburbs" and "the country.") Question, though: Home Depot sells 50 pounds of composted cow manure for 5 bucks. (Black Kow brand.) How much of it do I need for 240 sq. feet of growing space? And when you say it's free at those farms, have they already piled or packaged it typically? (i.e. It's one thing to put down a couple of trash bags and load some bagged leaves into the family car, but quite another to put a bunch of unbagged poop. )