View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Another Adventure in Anglia (FM 14)

Hello again, everyone.

I've been playing Football Manager long enough to know that I would really enjoy writing about a long-running save on the forum here. I've also figured out that when I try to chronicle my efforts in the usual way--writing about the events of a single match, or even a month's worth of matches. For some reason I either (1) struggle to find a writing format that appeals to me or (2) lose interest in the save because I can't manage to hit the right balance between playing and writing.

I'm going to try something different this time.

I like managing in England. For one thing, I've traveled there, so it's easy for me to envision the setting for my save. There are so many options--big clubs, smaller clubs, clubs in between--and, especially with the edited databases I've found, it's possible to enjoy a long journey up the pyramid to the higher levels of the game. And, even when you're playing with a club well down the pyramid, the players in your squad can still do things. They're not all absolute rubbish, with technical attributes so low that they're reduced to simply whacking the ball around the pitch and hoping it goes near the goal.

I'm going back to a club I managed in one of my first-ever FM saves: Wantage Town, a Level 9 club in the Hellenic League Premier Division. They are a semi-professional club, but they're a long way from the bright lights and star power of the Premier League. The team are nicknamed The Alfredians, because King Alfred the Great was born in Wantage in 849. How cool is that? Alfred is featured prominently in the club's badge, shown below.

I'll be playing Football Manager 14. I've bought more recent versions of the game, but for me, FM 14 seems to strike the right balance between complexity and playability.

I intend for this dynasty to have a good, long run, so I'll be posting on an annual, or semi-annual basis. My managerial alter-ego is young, so he could realistically be around for a few decades. I hope I'll do right by him and enable him to do so.

I'll return in a bit with a post about how I'm setting up the dynasty, because I'm doing a few different things in that regard, too.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote