View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

June 2015

For the second consecutive season, Wantage Town lifted a league championship trophy!

We clinched the league with six rounds left to play, when we avenged a loss to Guildford Town with a 3-1 victory at Alfredian Park on 28 March.

Once we'd taken care of business, I was tempted to take my foot off the accelerator and cruise to the finish line. That way, I could give some of our squad players some time on the pitch, and blood a few of our promising youngsters. I ended up deciding against that approach, and named sides that were close to full-strength all the way to the end of the season. With a number of clubs fighting for spots in the Promotion Playoff, I didn't want to jack up the competition by sending out teams that weren't up to our usual standard. Plus, I was aiming for some personal and team goals. I wanted us to break 100 points and score 100 goals, and I hoped Mick Hart would hold on to his lead in the league scoring race.

Two of those three goals were achieved; you'll see which ones.

Mick netted nine times in his last nine matches, giving him 33 for the season and the league's Golden Boot. Earl Archibald of Rugby, his closest competitor, banged in 31.

We ended the season on 101 points, with a 1-1 draw away to Stourbridge. We might have gotten to the century mark more comfortably, but a wave of injuries and suspensions for bad behavior caused me to vary my lineup over the last few matches of the season. Tom Wilkinson, the prize pupil of this year's youth class, made his senior debut as left winger when Ryan Ryder pulled up lame. He also featured at his preferred position, left back, when Matty York was shelved for a couple of games.

It was especially cool when I discovered the record point total for a club in the Southern League First Division Central had been 99. I didn't know that until we'd set the new mark.

That record was a beautiful gift from Tom Logan, who drew us level with Stourbridge in stoppage time. Tom provided a sad footnote to the story of the rise of Mick Hart. It was Tom who yielded his spot in the eleven to the youngster and, to his credit, Tom never complained a bit. He got some playing time when Hart or Paul Douglas were injured and he saw quite a bit of action as a substitute, either as a forward or a right wing. I always pulled for Tom. He's worn the green and white hoops with pride.

We didn't quite make it to 100 goals. Of the three achievements, that one was the least important to me anyway.

Here is the final table:

I've never come close to a season like this on Football Manager. I usually struggle to keep teams out of relegation and get myself sacked, so winning the league at a canter was a lot of fun.

Wantage Town and I will be moving up to the English Southern League Premier Division for 2015/16. Which of the lads who lifted the trophy this spring will be joining me? Wait and see...

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 06-26-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote