View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

June 2016

Three seasons, three trophies!

We lost to a Tiverton side that played very well against us, but we rebounded to take 20 points out of a possible 24 from our final eight fixtures and take the title in fine form. We celebrated the return of club captain Paul Douglas to the lineup the next week. He wasn't match fit, so he couldn't give us 90 minutes, but I could definitely see a difference in our team's play with him on the pitch.

We entered play on 4 April with a chance to clinch the league title. Royston Town put up a fight and played us to a draw, but when Gosport saw off Hitchin (2-0), we sewed up the championship anyway.

We extended Nathan Thornton's loan contract until the end of the season, and found a very smooth midfielder called Daniel Williams on the loan list. He was having a problem breaking into the first team at Chester (Conference Premier), but his well-rounded game plays very well at our level. He's versatile, too, able to play in the middle of the park or on the right wing.

Two weeks ago, I got this email from our new chairman. It's awfully nice of him to allow me "to stay on as manager of Wantage Town." Seriously, I'm thankful for the support that changed Doyle's mind. When/if I leave Wantage, I want to do it on my own terms.

Here's the top half of the table:

We barely missed 100 points and 100 goals again this season. A healthy Paul Douglas might have been enough to put us over the top in both cases.

Tiverton Town's run of good form continued through the Promotion Playoff, and they'll be joining us in the Conference South next season. The unhappiest lot of supporters are probably the fans of Histon, who fell all the way out of the playoff places after topping the league as late as December.

And here's the bottom half:

Royston, Mangotsfield, and AFC Hornchurch battled to avoid the drop, with the Urchins coming out worst. You might remember they gave us a good tussle in the FA Cup.

The club will need to make some improvements at Alfredian Park to meet the quality standard of the Conference. They'll be ready by late October, and until then, we'll share the Culham Road grounds with Abingdon Town.

Should I be embarrassed that our former foes in the Hellenic Premier League will be hosting us...while we're playing three levels higher?

Right now, I don't care. I'm too busy enjoying the fact that we're making room for another trophy in our case.

Up the Alfredians!

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-20-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote