View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #29
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 August 2016

Tomorrow, a new season begins, one that finds us in the Conference South. It's a big step up for us, much more daunting than the ones we've previously taken. The board expect a mid-table finish from us, and we're picked to finish 13th in the 22-team league by the media.

I was allowed to expand our coaching staff, and I took full advantage of that opportunity. All the names you'll remember from our backroom staff are still here, along with some new ones.

Coach Anthony Bryant and Under 21s manager Ryan Ellis are the new faces this season. We're up to 2.5 stars in all our training areas now, which seems good for our level.

Here are the staff who work with our younger players. I added two staff members for our Under 18s: manager Steve O'Brien and coach Tom Donovan.

Last December, we lost, 0-1, to Histon at Alfredian Park. Their goal was scored off a long throw by a German defender called Malte Seidel, who hurled the ball like an arrow into the middle of our six-yard box for a big bloke to head in. I took a closer look at Seidel, and I was impressed. Besides being as good at long throws as any player on the planet, he's a hard-working, tough right back with the dribbling and crossing ability to provide some offensive help. In other words, Malte is exactly what I want in my team.

Malte's contract expired at the end of June, and after Histon failed to make the Promotion Playoff, he was open to the possibility of a move. It took some persistence, but I got him to agree to terms with us.

Richard Ahern had already figured out that his advancing years made him better suited to relief duty, so he was happy to accept a new deal to back Malte up.

The rest of our goalkeepers and defenders are familiar faces, returning to their familiar duties. Chris Beesley will be between the posts, with Matty York, Matt Osman, and Jonathan Booth joining Seidel on the back line.

Daniel Williams returns from Chester on a year-long loan. He's a big, strong man who is developing the defensive awareness to strangle an opponent in the middle of the pitch and the creativity to make things happen in attack. He will allow us to keep Dominic Hutchinson and Max Westlake fresh over the course of a long season.

Roy Porter and Tom Wilkinson will man the flanks again.

I signed Tim Joyce on a free transfer to fill the role previously played by Ryan Ryder. Tim is even more versatile than Ryan was, and gives us a jolt of pace off our bench.

I was right about Neil Pelling not being long for Wantage Town. Last week, he accepted a non-contract deal with Alfreton Town, who were relegated to the Conference North last spring. He's on their Under 21 roster now, so he might not be getting much more first team football than he did with us. At any rate, I wish him well.

The first team strike pairing of Paul Douglas and Mick Hart need no introduction.

Here are the most promising players from our Under 21 and Under 18 teams. Those squads will be playing in full-fledged leagues now that we're in the Conference, so these lads will get some real playing time.

Kevin Lewis and Josias Bedwell will almost certainly feature in the first team for cup ties.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote