View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #32
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 March 2017

It's been a while since I posted--it's been a busy summer, and I got in a mood where I preferred playing to writing. Wantage Town have been the surprise side of the Conference South, maintaining their position on top of the table.

After drawing twice during the busy festive period, we reeled off six straight victories. I don't remember many of the details, since I played these matches a couple weeks ago, but I do remember how satisfying it was to see so many players contributing to the team's success.

Malte Seidel, the only new member of the first eleven, has been a wonderful fit. His incisive runs up the right side remind me of Richard Ahern at his best. He takes our penalties, and he's cash money from the spot. He's a tough defender with good pace and an exemplary work ethic. And I've mentioned what kind of weapon his long throw can be.

We were poor in our loss at home to Basingstoke, but we quickly turned things around--due in no small part to a scoring binge by Mick Hart, who netted in five straight matches. Mick might not score quite as easily as he did back in the Southern League, but he's proving he's up to the Conference standard.

I forgot to take a screen shot of the table before I moved ahead. We're top of the league; that much I do remember.

Today was youth intake day, so let's meet the newest Alfredians!

Our youth program keeps turning out good strikers. This year's prize pupil, Pearce Lynn, is cut from the mold of Mick Hart. He's not as fast--few footballers are--but he's the same kind of player, and my staff think his ceiling is as high as Mick's is. They're both said to have the potential to play in League One.

We also might have found our goalkeeper of the future in Adam Rowland. He's a tall lad (6'2" already) and he communicates with his defense like a veteran.

I like Daniel Gilligan a lot, too. He could develop into an all-action midfielder, perhaps a Dominic Hutchinson with a bit more offensive flair.

Let's see if we can close out the season in style and lift another trophy!

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-22-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote