View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #429
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bumping an old fave.

The Impossible Whopper at Burger King could be a "next step" sort of thing. First and probably most importantly, it is pretty convincing as tasting good. I'm not saying it's indistinguishable from the real thing, but it's close enough that if they accidentally served 100 of them to people ordering Whoppers (meaning no leading questions or context for there being a difference), I doubt a ton would notice it. It's a little less greasy than real beef, but if you get it with the usual condiments, it's not that noticeable. (Contrast with the White Castle "Impossible Slider," that i tried for the first time in Vegas last week, and which was only accompanied by steamed onions - there, I found the taste/texture difference much more noticeable.

Anyway, what I think it nearly as important as the widespread distribution BK affords, is the pricing. Here, it was just a dollar more than the standard Whopper, and it's the same size bun, etc. So, that's a conscious decision to attack the main market, rather than just the fully-fenced-in market. I'm not sure it's the best business decision for Impossible (it likely is for BK), but I think it does keep this as a serious possibility to grow and grow. At only 6 bucks or so, it seems likely that in addition to my category (menu-limiters who would like a good fast food option and will seek this out), they are going to at least get some business from the health-conscious spouses, and there-with-friends types giving it a try, at least. Maybe even a wave of "this can't be any good, right?" They're marketing it as if it's a wide-appeal offering, for sure.

Anyhow, if you haven't done the research: the patty is all plant-based, the bun is not whole grain but is vegan-friendly, the BK standard Whopper offering is LTMPOK so to veganize it, hold the mayo (I add mustard, which I would anyhow). I think without the mayo, it's roughly 500-550 calories, not atrocious.

I'm a fan. Have tried Impossible in 4 locations with big jacked-up pricing, and BK is as good as them all, and much cheaper. It's not super healthy, but I will be a regular for a while, at least. Even bought a BK gift card (at a discount).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote