View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #128
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I must say this is certainly strange with what the Pats are doing. Normally, seeking out value and players that "fit." This feels more like just trying to get some decent players so the team doesnt completely fall of a cliff.

Nelson Agholor feels like a complete non-Patriot move. Non-productive and vastly overpaid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The only thing I see about the Agholor deal that makes Patriots sense to me is that it seems to have a lot of base salary, rather than fully vested bonus. So it may be more of a one-year deal with a team option.

I like their deal with Bourne a lot better, but... well, I don't really understand what they are doing over there.
The overall strategy makes a ton of sense - hoard cap space in one year when almost no teams have it, throw the comp pick strategy out the window for a year & load up on a bunch of solid free agents. And considering it's "day one" of FA & a lot of these guys were top tier players I don't think there's one huge overpay or anything that hamstrings them if the fit isn't right... but yeah either we draft a QB (Trey Lance!), trade for one (Derek Carr?), or Belichick really does try to prove he can win without a QB who can throw the ball. I think that team could make the playoffs (the September/pre-Cam getting Covid Patriots could've been 9-7/10-6) - and this is a better version of it with real TE's & like 5 defensive starters added (Hightower, Van Noy, Judon, Mills, Godchaux), but yeah I'm still not sure you can win a Super Bowl if your quarterback can't throw a 10 yard pass without bouncing it off the turf so we'll see if there's another QB move via draft or trade.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote