View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

18 October 2013

Paul knew better than to pay attention to the tabloids. The Daily Mirror was hardly a pillar of journalistic excellence, and he'd been blasted in its pages plenty of times, especially during his years with Everton.

Why did it sting so much this time?

Today, the Mirror had offered the opinion that with one more poor result, Paul would be sent packing. It was the second negative story in a week. sportinglife.com had printed a story last week that alluded to the "little public support" Paul was receiving from the Rochdale brass. The next day, which was last Saturday, The Dale had a tough fixture, away to Oxford, who were top of the league. They emerged with a 2-2 draw, an outcome which satisfied the supporters and quieted down the critics for a few days.

Paul sighed deeply. How much should he believe what he was reading about his job being on the line? Was someone with the Mirror talking to one of the directors?

Paul had just tossed the Mirror into the wastebasket beside his desk when he heard a knock on the door. "Come in," he said.

It was Stavros Molloy. The goalkeeper smiled as he entered the room.

"What can I do for you, Stav?"

"I read that crap in today's Mirror. I'm not sure where they're getting it, but I can tell you it's not coming from us players. We're behind you, Paul."

Paul's face visibly relaxed. "I didn't think it was, but I appreciate you saying so."

"There's one way we can shut them up, boss. We're going to win tomorrow. Count on us."

"Thanks, Stav." Paul reached out to shake the goalkeeper's hand.

"If they don't score, we can't lose. They won't score." Molloy released his manager's hand, nodded his head, and left the office.

I wish it were that easy, Paul thought. Still, if his team were actually playing for his job tomorrow, Paul was glad to know his goalkeeper was determined to do all he could to make a very crucial save.

Molloy is the first player to list Sanderson as a "favourite personnel," so I gave him the starring role in this story.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote