View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #44
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just recently picked up 2007 again and have been essentially using it as a simulator, which is still fun. But that's it. I don't enjoy playing the game as a GM/manager. And even just watching the historical replays, I can see some serious problems that are easier to overlook because I'm not "in" the game as deeply, just watching. But I hate the mapping of the UI, the duplication of screens that, depending how you get there, have different info on them, the inability to view the simulation screen other than while the games are being simmed, even though it has the best overview of what's going on in the league, etc.

As far as under the hood stuff, the one thing that appears to be completely broken is being able to set the percentages of what the teams rely on in making their decisions - we have the ability to have GMs give zero emphasis on ratings, yet decisions are still made only on ratings. In fact, I'm not sure those percentages mean anything. I still see way too many players who have great years, they lose 1 or 2 points off of a couple of talent categories during the off-season, and they immediately get dumped into the minors or FA before the next season. I've got guys winning the Cy Young and not even pitching in the majors the next year because their stuff dropped from 11 to 10 and their movement from 15 to 14 and stuff like that. And that's with emphasis on ratings no better than 10%. Sign and release still happens at an unbelievable rate - in one of my replays, Lou Gehrig was signed and released about 25-30 times within 2 weeks. There are just too many things like that for me to be interested in investing time into actually playing the game. But I do love my stats, and the game is a very good simulator - if you can get over seeing Cy Young winners sitting in AAA the next year...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote