View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #47
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Well, some others have posted on how it's not really hard to set up a league so I won't comment further.

In your situation trying to use a current MLB roster set is bad. My point though was using Ghana (as was the thing last year) or Zimbabwe doesn't really address any of your issues nor get your message across. It's complaining about something that has no effect on your situation at all. I mean if you can't create a league in Zimbabwe than you can't create a MLB league either, they both use the same setup screens. So it does come across as silly. Simply stating "I can't seem to be able to set up a current MLB game that works the way I want it to" would have been much more informative.

I agree that the roster making ability of the "new" ootp needs to be changed and sooner rather than later. It's not that rosters can't be made it's just that it's too complicated. You can't simply enter stats and personality traits and then have the cpu generate a player based on that. Instead you have to build your player with ratings to do what you want him to do. This becomes hard because what ratings do you give ARod? What ratings do you give a scrub? I don't think you know until you try and test. Hardly a fast way to get things done. I'm not a programmer but if one can import stats from Lehman and get a roster made why can't one enter stats and get the same?
Until this is changed I think all roster makers are going to have a hard time.

Your original post doesn't say but have you played v2007? Or are all of your opinions based on v2006? As others have stated v2007, which for all intents and purposes, is the same as OOTP8 is leaps and bounds ahead of 2006 in ease of use. However 2007\v8 have the same current roster making issues.

One more thing about current rosters and their makers. They get so much pressure to include all of the real players from rookie A to the Majors and this complicates and adds thousands of hours to the development. IMHO they should make either a MLB 40 man roster set or preferably a MLB set with teams top 5-10 prospects first and release that allowing users to fill their minors with fictional or ghost\fictional players then move on to the full minors. This would get things to a manageable 800-1200 players instead of trying make the 5000(?) plus players it takes to do the minors. Not to mention the time it takes to research all of the nobodies in the minors that will never have even a remote chance of getting anywhere near the majors.

The roster issues goes well beyond just the amount of players. Just reading the threads in the roster forum right now and there are loads of bugs with them. Duplicate players, fielding ratings going down to 0 at every position after a couple of years. The whole thing looks like a complete mess.

And that's where I'm upset with OOTP. They had a huge fan base who played with real rosters. Tons of leagues used it. Markus completely screwed up this aspect of the game and gave up that market. As much as I loved his earlier games, and as much as I love the series, Markus deserves the failure he is receiving the past few years due to horrendous development decisions that alienated a lot of his customers. There is no excuse I can think of for building a version of that game that was not customizable friendly in the roster department.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-03-2008 at 01:17 AM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote