View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 09:59 PM   #273
miami_fan
Coordinator

There are other options.

https://flyersrights.org/f/flyersrig...ory=Air+Safety

Quote:
FlyersRights, the largest airline passenger organization, filed a rulemaking petition with the FAA on October 5th, the 3rd anniversary of the ignored Congressional deadline for the FAA to set minimum seat standards. FlyersRights’ rulemaking petition proposes seat dimensions that accommodate 90% to 92% of the population.

This group also says that only about 1 in 4 Americans can actually fit into the current seat dimensions.

Also here are some raw data about Americans and body shape/size to keep in mind when you consider the current seat sizes.

Average Butt Size for Males and Females (Glute Size Guide)

Quote:
According to US anthropometric reference data, the average butt size for women is 40.2 inches or 102.2 cm. This data is based on the buttocks measurements of 8,068 females aged 20 and over.

Quote:
According to data from the CDC’s Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the average butt size for men is 39.2 inches or 99.6 cm.

The average American butt probably should not fit in most airplane seats comfortably.

Finally, the standard seat belt length in an airplane is approximately 46 inches.

The average waist circumference of the American man is 40.5 inches. The average waist circumference of the American woman is 38.7. And growing I might add. Should the average American be able to buckle up with few issues? Yes but it is getting close.

I don't say any of that to try to guilt anyone or to be a concern troll. As I said, the smaller seat in economy class is a feature not a bug of the airline industry to force you to upgrade if you want to be comfortable. I am just saying things may not turn out the way some may hope if the idea is to punish the fat people by making them pay more. As I said, the American public is becoming more and more obese and the airline seats are getting smaller and smaller. I have taken four plane trips over the last six months or so. As of a couple months ago, I could still fit in my exit row aisle seat pretty comfortably though I did take a long look at traveling first class because the eight hour flight in economy to London is starting to become less than ideal for my 6'4 270 lb frame nowadays. And let me tell ya, fat people are flying all over the damn place. If all the fat people and people who just want extra room are buying seats on a plane two at a time, where is everyone else suppose to seat?

Which will happen first? No one will be able to fit in any airplane seat because they are too big or everyone who is on a plane will have paid for two seats because none of them could fit in one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote