View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 12:38 PM   #387
Edward64
Head Coach

I know that flying is safer than driving but stories like this always gives me the heebie jeebies (since I used to fly a lot).

Quote:
The loss of a plane carrying 72 people in Nepal has highlighted the dangers of air travel in a country often referred to as one of the world’s riskiest places to fly.

Sunday’s crash left at least 68 people dead, making it the worst airplane accident in the Himalayan nation in 30 years. It was also the third-worst aviation accident in the country’s history, according to data from the Aviation Safety Network.

Kathmandu was in a lower tier of places I'd like to visit (and maybe become Dr. Strange in a multiverse). Still want to visit it but may go by train instead

Quote:
The capital of Kathmandu is Nepal’s primary transit hub, from where many of these small flights leave.

The airport in the town of Lukla, in northeastern Nepal, is often referred to as the world’s most dangerous airport. Known as the gateway to Everest, the airport’s runway is laid out on a cliffside between mountains, dropping straight into an abyss at the end.

A lack of investment in aging aircraft only adds to the flying risks.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote