View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

It felt like springtime on this February morning
In the courtyard birds were singing your praise
I'm still recalling things you said to me to make me feel all right

Maybe I've said that before somewhere else. Well, quoted it really. Whatever. In any case, Sophie B. Hawkins' music video for "As I Lay Me Down" was, oddly enough, a primary influence on my wanting to go to school out East. And yet, where have I gone? Midwest, South, and West. Overseas, too, if you count Spain.

I often think about how differently life would have gone for me if I'd applied to more schools, not just settled for Minnesota. But then again, I was pretty screwed up mentally and emotionally in high school, so maybe the eventual chain of events wouldn't have changed all that much.

In any case, here I am again in tiny ass Smithfield, Rhode Island, for my third season. I can't wait to leave.

There's two scholarships available this year and honestly, it's all about the best available players. We've also decided to slightly relax the academic standards, as it's cost us too many good players. They still need to make a 1000 SAT score, with at least a 2.3 GPA, but with some wiggle room on each if they exceed the minimums of one significantly.

We zero in on our two targets right away, PG Hilton Harding, a 3* recruit who would be awesome, and PF Lance Tully, also a 3* recruit who is Rhode Island's Mr. Basketball.

Hilton Harding is quick to tell us that with scholarship offers from Harvard and New Hampshire in hand, we have no chance, so we transfer our efforts to SF Noe Dugan, another 3* recruit.

Only to get burned by Dugan a month later so it's another changeup, to C Jeremy Setser, who at 6'6 is way too short to play the 5 and iffy even for the 4.

...Then everybody jumps on Jeremy Setser and the worst part is, now Brown is creeping up on Lance Tully. Fuck giving up Tully, though. We've fought too damn hard for him. I once again send Cortez abroad, though this time it doesn't really count because he's going just over the border into Canada to take a look at 3* Napoleon Gordon, who I hope will be dynamite and flash fast.

Just before training camp, Cortez bursts into my office, shouting at me to go to Rivals.com's website. I do, and under his frantic orders, I pull up a video of Rhode Island Mr. Basketball, PF Lance Tully, who has hats from Brown and Bryant on the table.

"...And so, after a lot of hard thought, talk with my family and friends, and prayer, I've made my decision."

The audience, Cortez and I all watch with caught breath.

My heart sinks as he starts lowering his hand to the Brown hat, but then he suddenly switches to the Bryant hat and OMG I can not believe this he's putting it on his head!!!!!

"I'm signing with the Bryant University Bulldogs!"

Cortez and I dance around the office, wrapping each other up in a bear hug.

"We did it! We did it!" he whispers fiercely, "We finally got a 3 star and the state's best!"

Yes, finally little 3 prestige Bryant has landed Rhode Island's Mr. Basketball, and the first 3* recruit in Bulldogs' history.

But what makes it most sweet is that at last, we beat Brown for a recruit.

It's such a happy moment I have to post his scouting profile.

Code:
#5 PF Lance Tully -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Height: 6-7 Weight: 239 High School: Middletown High School Hometown: Middletown, RI GPA: 2.36 Test Score: 1000 Rating: *** Attributes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Type INS JPS FTS 3PS HND PAS ORB DRB PSD PRD STL BLK QKN STR JMP STA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Current: 49 13 31 13 28 20 71 37 39 36 0 26 27 65 45 7 Potential: A F D F D F A B B D D D Season Stats: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PTS OREB REB AST TOS A/T STL BLK PFS -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 14.6 3.1 9.7 1.2 2.5 0.48 0.4 0.9 3.5 Shooting Averages: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FGM FGA FG% FTM FTA FT% 3PM 3PA 3P% -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.1 10.5 .579 2.5 4.6 .549 0.0 0.4 .000 Recruiting Notes: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Qualified: Yes Committed to Bryant University Rankings: East Region #24 PF High School Awards: All-State, Mr. Basketball (Rhode Island) Top 5 Schools: *Bryant University, Brown,

True, he'll always be a horrible handler and passer. But if Malcom's read on Lance is even close to accurate, our new recruit, right now, as a high school senior, is the following:

#1. The team's best offensive rebounder by far
#2. The team's #3 defensive rebounder
#3. The team's #4 inside shooter with not much gap between him and the leader
#4. The team's #4 post defender with again not much gap between him and the leader

This is a huge, huge, *huge* get. It's almost enough to make me want to stay.

...Almost.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote