View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #660
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. January 21, 2026

FA Cup - 3rd Round Replay
Newcastle (1) vs. (1) Dover
St. James’ Park, Newcastle, England

Betting Odds: Newcastle: 11-5 Draw: N/A Dover: Evens (Favourites)
Past Meetings: 9W 2D 3L

Newcastle almost shocked the world a couple weeks back, holding us off the scoresheet until injury time in a 1-1 draw at Crabble in the FA Cup 3rd round match that now goes to a replay at St. James’ Park. This team always plays us very tight and have a great goalkeeper in Jak Alnwick.

We’ll need a win or a draw with at least two goals scored to move on. A 1-1 draw will move us into extra time. This is usually a spot for our main lineup but we’re getting nothing from them in recent games so I’m really rolling the dice today, going with mostly second teamers and also playing a 4-2-3-1 formation to hopefully confuse Newcastle. Andy Broomes is alone up front with Zoltan Bardi slotted in behind. I have a number of key starters on the bench just in case I need them but we have a weekend league match against Chelsea and I hope that our second team shows up with their customary professionalism today.

Dover: 4-4-2 DM (4-2-3-1) Control
GK - C. Davies
D - Rafinha, A. Torres, R. Hamon, R. Lopez
M - E. Harvey, N. Cairney
AM - A. Bamba, Z. Bardi, S. De la Vega
S - A. Broomes
Bench - S. Loucif, Renato Gaucho, M. Mutesa, P. Secchi, G. Bolis, M. Lugo, P. Moses

As expected, Newcastle are once again in their 4-4-1-1 formation with Stanislas Vigneau up front and Jak Alnwick in goal. Lets put on a good show here.

4’ - A bit of a nervous start, as Newcastle get two solid chances off the opening kickoff but we hold them off. We then move up the pitch down the left side with Arsene Bamba leading the charge. He lays a pass off to the touchline to the trailing Rafinha, who then sends a glorious cross into the box that meets the head of Sergio De la Vega. The ball is sent past Alnwick and IN! What a start!! DOVER GOAL 1-0

38’ - Newcastle continue to control play and earn a free kick from distance. They send everyone up and the cross is a perfect one, right to the head of Ibon, who heads it off the goalpost and in. NEWCASTLE GOAL 1-1

HALFTIME - Newcastle are completely outplaying us and seem to want this more. They held 52% of possession that half while we outshoot them 8-7 (2-4 on target). We may need a tactics change soon and a player change as well. I tell the players we only need one goal - go and get it!

48’ - We cause a turnover and move up the pitch. Andy Broomes takes it to the byline and tries to cut back toward goal but the ball is tackled away from him. It’s in the open and there is Bamba on the doorstep and he cashes in with his weaker right foot! Yes! DOVER GOAL 2-1

Newcastle move to a flat 4-4-2 and we’ll do the same.

54’ - We have a throw in down the left side and the ball comes back to Rafinha. Once again, he shows his incredible touch with a beautiful arcing ball into the area and there again is De la Vega, hitting a quick shot off the post and JUST across the line. Holy crap - De la Vega and Rafinha hook up for the second time and we have a cushion!! DOVER GOAL 3-1.

63’ - I pull out Broomes, who has a yellow card and bring in Manuel Lugo.

82’ - We continue to push forward and it’s Bamba feeding a cross into Lugo, who heads it home! He’s on FIRE. DOVER GOAL 4-1

And our second teamers continue to roll.

Newcastle 1 - 4 Dover
Goals - Sergio De la Vega 2 (8.8), Arsene Bamba (8.8), Manuel Lugo (7.3)
Assists - Rafinha 2 (8.5), Arsene Bamba
Man of the Match - Arsene Bamba
Other Dover Notables - Chris Davies, Rodolfo Lopez (7.7), Rayane Hamon (7.6), Adrian Torres (7.2), Neil Cairney (7.1), Emmerson Harvey (7.0)
Attendance - 35,488

We had a wonderful second half and ended up with 51% of possession and an 18-11 (9-4 on target) shot advantage. Superb - it’s so reassuring to have such great depth at the club but in a way, I wonder if we should start making some changes to our first team. De la Vega is really coming on, Bamba is seemingly back to his form from a couple years ago and Lugo is shedding the “bust” label I was ready to slap on him after a terrible first year with our club - he’s been sensational this season as a fourth choice player.

-- We earn £69,000 for the win and will face Reading in the fourth round.

Next Up

-- A big Premier League matchup, as we head to London to face Chelsea.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-27-2015 at 11:15 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote