View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I would love to take Kongo the day it becomes Catholic, but how different would that be by the end to my Songhai dynasty? Ethiopia against the world sounds like fun, as the only Christian nation in 1444 in Africa, but again, how different would that be to my Georgian, Trebizond, Naxos campaigns?

The same would be true of Wallachia and Byzantium. I had two Baltic campaigns, and I’ve been in Ireland, Italy, and twice in Iberia, twice in the HRE, and such.

I’ve only done two Muslim campaigns – Songhai and Granada. I thought about doing a Muslim nation as my next choice in CK2 with all of the dlc Sons of Abraham and Sword of Islam, because that looks very fleshed out. Better than EU4 frankly.

I’ve never done North Africa, or a traditional middle eastern Arabic nation, so that would be a fun dynasty. Again, I suspect it’ll be my next CK2 dynasty though, so I’ma skip that for now.

Many of the updates to realms in EU3 expansions, like the hordes, republics, Ming, and Japan I’ve not run, and versions of them are incorporated into EU4 as well. That’d be fun, and we just had an expansion for Native Americans, so maybe it’s finally time to take one for a spin.

I’ve never done campaigns in Russia, North Africa, North or South America, Indian Subcontinent, and so forth. I’ve played one Hindu nation, and other than that it’s all Christian and Islam. So perhaps it’s time for another faith. But what are the game differences between Hindu or Buddhist other than a few minor bonuses. (Buddhism and Confucianism are exactly the same bonuses even). What’s the value of even playing them?

So my motivation for playing a non-Abrahamic religion is not strong, because the game mechanics from EU1 are still the same – a few minor bonuses. For Confucianism/Buddhism, you get +2 tolerance of heretics (in your own faith) and +1 of heathens. Whoop de doo.

In conclusion, I have a lot of experience as the lonely Orthodox voice against the Muslims, so Wallachia and Byzantium, while fun, would play into that. Here are some ideas that appeal to me, now that I have been writing.

Take Portugal, and turn it into a historically accurate model of itself at its colonial height.

Take a Malaysian power and create the nation of Malay, and built an Indies superpower (a la Mataram Rising –the most fun I’ve ever had as a dynasty.)

Play as one of the tribes of North America, and build a nation. Can I fend off the Europeans?

Play as another white Orthodox light against the dark. (Ethiopia, Wallachia, Byzantium, etc)

Play as a horde nation or Ming – for a new experience. Perhaps the Timurids?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote