View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

We definitely have options, almost too many. Carmelo is a free agent, and I'm very tempted to go after him. But, I reconsider, I've got a boatload of talent at the 2 and 3 positions, and while Carmelo is special, he'd eventually end up costing us some depth if Mr. Dambert doesn't give the green light to go over the cap. I decide to see what the trade market has and work out a couple of deals that keeps us flexible with the cap, help us today and prepare us for the future.

I send:
PG Ramon Sessions
C Emmanuel Forest

to Houston for:
PG Aaron Brooks.

I've been dying to get rid of Sessions, and finally do. Brooks makes a little more this season and next, but is a much better player overall. He'll hopefully help us improve with our ball security, we were 29th in the league in turnovers committed last season. Forest was one of the developmental picks I grabbed in the 2nd round, he'll be a solid reserve center most likely.

I send:
C Nate Betz

to Chicago for:
C Omer Asik

Betz might have more upside, but is raw, where Asik can step in right now and give us some quality minutes I think. He was the 2011 MVP for the d-leagues, and was 1st team all d-league and 1st team defense, so I like his upside.

I send:
SG Connor Diggs
SF George Riley

to Portland for:
C Marcus Camby
PF Jeremy Tyler

Camby is old, but still solid at what he does. I now feel very good about my frontcourt with Gasol, Murphy, Diaw, Camby and Asik. I'm going to send Tyler to the d-leagues this season, and he'll figure in to our plans more next season, because I'm probably not going to pick up Murphy's $10 million option.

I'll probably also sign the remaining 2nd round draft pick, the one I'm most excited about, 6'9" SF Kyle McCoy and send him to the d-leagues also. The only free agent signing we end up making is to PG Jerome Randle, he's a barely decent scrub, and I'm hoping he never sees the court, but in a pinch, he'll hopefully be serviceable.

Our talent level has definitely improved all the way around, and we'll most likely have about $15 million in cap room going into next year's draft. Pretty much the only way I'll pick up Murphy's option for next season is if he plays lights out and Camby is in the final year of his deal. So, we're in good shape.

One more thing, I really wanted to get a #1 scoring option, but I'm really hoping that Derrick Williams takes that step forward this season. He's definitely got the potential to be a 20+ point scorer.

Last edited by Cap Ologist : 06-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote