View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #59
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 12
Tennessee 5-5 @ Atlanta 7-3
Coming into this game we are 9 point favorites. But this week we will be starting a new QB. While our offence does mostly rely on the legs of Leland Nixon, it has been very helpful having a solid QB to turn to in times of need. Fisk was supposed to be the QB of the future, but he has not been developing as well as I would have hoped. Today we will give him the chance as our starter is just in too much pain to get the nod today.

The Titans are a pretty average team. They depend on the pass far more than they do the run, but they aren’t very good at it. They are fifth in pass attempts, but only 25th in passing yards. The one area where they are excellent is their running defense. They have the fourth best defense against the run…but I am not sure why. Their line is mediocre at best, and only one of their linebackers has any real skill against the run. Somehow they have just managed to play above their ability. I am counting on my awesome offensive front being able to bully them around today.

Our defense came up strong in this one. The QB that I put in the game played about as poorly as I have ever seen someone play. But thanks to our defense we held strong. Nixon ran pretty well for most of the game, except when he got inside the 20. He had nine carries in the red zone, and only one of them was for more than 2 yards (5 were for losses). His one successful red zone carry was a 9 yard TD run that put us up 10-7. We controlled the rest of the game, even though we weren't able to get the ball in the end zone.

Late in the fourth we were leading 16-7 when Nixon fumbled the ball on our 42 yard line. With under 2 minutes to play, it was frustrating because we were on the verge of being able to run out the clock. The Titans moved the ball the 42 yards to pull within 2 with just 41 seconds left. Naturally they tried and onside kick, and we recovered. That would have been the end of it had Nixon not fumbled AGAIN on the next play when we were just trying to run out the clock. We now had to count on our secondary coming up strong to keep Tennessee from picking up 13 yards and putting themselves in field goal range. The defense held strong forcing three incomplete passes to give us the 16-14 victory.

Leland had 26 carries for 93 yards and one TD. It would have been considered a solid day for him were it not for the two fumbles that were nearly so costly.

More injuries strike this week, knocking out two reserves that were thrust into starting roles. We will now have to go with third sting players at CB and FB.

Week 13
Atlanta 8-3 @ Arizona 5-6
Arizona has been struggling this season. They are using an undrafted rookie QB as their starter (and not because of injury), and he has not been cutting it for them. They have a decent RB who was having a good season, but he is hurt now so they are having to go to a poor backup.

They do have some decent defenders on the left side of their line, but our strength is running the other direction. We should be able to run all over them and stroll to an easy victory. We are again going to be counting on backup QB Fisk leading us, in spite of his horrid performance last week. We also signed 11 year veteran John Lester to be our new starting FB. We are the 10th team that Lester has played for in those 11 seasons.

Leland Nixon had another solid game, even though he did fumble the ball again. He ran for 142 yards on 33 carries. We still struggled though, as once again our QB just couldn't do anything for us. He threw 3 INT (two of them were in the red zone and one of these was returned for the Cards only TD of the game). Fisk is done for the year. An injured Toby Glenn has got to be better than what Tom Fisk has been giving us. It took a late field goal for us to take a 16-13 lead, and that would be the final score.

We suffer more injuries. We lose our best DT, his backup and our superstar FS.

3/4 Review
We are riding high on a 6 game winning streak. Sitting at 9-3 it is highly unlikely that we will not be able to make the playoffs this year. We currently have the top running team in the league, and we are in the top 10 in yards per carry. Our offence is the 9th highest scoring team in the league. As you may recall, my preseason goals were to win the division, have Nixon exceed 1642 yards and to have him score 12 TDs. Baring injury Leland will easily eclipse the rushing yard goal. He is second in rushing yards with 1486. His 4.3 yard average is a bit lower than it was at the midpoint of the season, but it is still a solid number. Nixon has scored 9 TDs (8 rushing, 1 receiving) this year, meaning that he needs three more in the next 4 games. Were it not for his 10 fumbles I would say that he is a lock for a Pro Bowl spot this year. As for my final goal of winning the division we are right there. We are still tied with Tampa Bay for the NFC South title. The bad news is that Tampa does not play another team with a winning record other than our showdown with them in two weeks. We cannot afford to lose another game all season, and our schedule is much more difficult.

Our defense has really stepped up in the last four games. Whereas we were the #23 team in scoring defense, we are now the #12 team in the league. But the injuries that we have been seeing lately does not bode well for us. We have one healthy DT on our roster. Both of our starting safeties are out with injuries. Our QB is still hurt, but will have to play anyway. Basically 20% of the team is hurt. We could really use a break.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote