View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #351
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You have reached the north side of the keep when you are unexpectedly confronted by three Cener Druids, who turn a corner and come walking towards you in a line abreast. To avoid them you are forced to sidestep quickly into a shadowy doorway.

From the darkened doorway you watch the activity taking place in the keep, hoping to see something that will help you locate where in Mogaruith the Cenerese are producing their deadly plague viruses.

From out of the milling crowds of Vazhag there suddenly appears a small group of red-robed Cener Druids. They are talking to each other as they walk towards your hiding place.

Quickly you pull away from the open doorway and retreat deeper into the building. A narrow corridor takes you to a flight of steps which descends to where a passage crosses your path. An ornately painted sign, written in Cenerese, indicates what may be found at the end of each passage.

Your Magnakai skills enable you to read this sign. The arrow pointing to the left reads 'Library'; the arrow pointing to the right reads 'Laboratory'.

(Both hold value. Let’s start with the library,)

The corridor makes a gradual descent towards a single wooden door shod with heavy iron fittings. You press the handle carefully and, to your surprise, the door opens inwards without a sound. You enter and push the door closed before beginning your exploration of this archive.

The library contains thousands of books and time-yellowed parchments, stacked in uneven rows upon shelves that line every wall. The air is heavy with their odour and your senses prickle with the sensation that you are in the presence of works of great evil. Silently you pass from one chamber to the next until you spy two druids seated at a table in an adjoining room. They are studying a large tome which is bound in a pale-coloured leather. A wave of nausea makes you swallow hard the instant you realize that the book is covered with human skin. The two druids, who appear to be little older than a dozen years apiece, are chattering to each other excitedly. You move closer to the room and eavesdrop on their conversation.

After a few minutes you learn that their names are Noraa and Monad. They are novices who were brought into the sect by Cenerese agents after having been orphaned in their native land of Lourden. They seem devoted to studying the lore of their evil brotherhood, and as they read they ruminate at length about a great 'day of retribution' that the Cenerese will enjoy before the year ends.

At length they finish their studies and rise from the table. As Monad restores the book to its shelf, Noraa says:

'Hurry up. We'll be late for Kadrian's sermon.'

Monad nods apologetically, and hurries to join his brother as he leaves the library by another door. As the latch clicks shut, you emerge from your listening place and enter the room.

(I choose to search the room)

You scan the walls of this reading room and as your eye passes over the books and scrolls stored upon its shelves, you feel an almost uncontrollable urge to tear every one of them to pieces. The wickedness they contain, gleaned after thousands of years of perpetrating the vilest herbcraft known to Magnamund, is so potent that you feel your Kai strength waning in their presence (lose 2 ENDURANCE points).

Mindful of the insidious effect of these books you search as quickly as you can. On one of the lower shelves you notice an ornately carved wooden box, banded with gold and inlaid with precious gemstones. You carry it to the main table where the light is brightest and, as you place it there, you hear a riddle emanating from a design engraved on its lid. It speaks in the Cenerese tongue but you instantly recognize the words:

'My treasure is hidden from view
But I'll open myself for you,
If you ponder this puzzle then state
The right answer to determine my fate.
Divide 80 by one half,
Then examine what you see.
From this number take 14,
What remains will open me.'

Your Kai senses tell you that by solving the riddle, then speaking the answer aloud, you will cause the lid of the box to open.

When you think you have solved this riddle, turn to the page number which is the same as your answer.

(160-14 =146, should be the answer. Let’s see).

All that is inside is a Map of Mogaruith, which I take. I hear someone else enter the library, so it’s time I made my leaves.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote