View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #383
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A sudden noise makes you spin around, half-crouched, your weapon ready to hand for your defense. At first you see nothing, then a faint shadow moving at the corner of your eye draws your attention to an alcove on the other side of the hall. Suddenly you hear Banedon's voice echoing faintly in your head. You cannot understand what he is saying but you sense that it is a warning. You glance over your shoulder and notice that he is pointing at the granite throne. To your horror you see that the throne's fanged mouth is opening wider and wider.

(I have Kai-Screen)

A ghostly mist issues from the parting jaws of the throne-statue. You step back, your weapon raised, but it does nothing to protect you from the piercing screech which suddenly fills your head. Fortunately, your powerful mind defenses are protection enough against this violent psychic attack, and soon the screech fades to a more tolerable volume.

From out of the mist-filled jaw there emerges a small black creature covered in shaggy fur. Its head is white, cut with dark bony ridges and studded with running sores that encircle its flaming red eyes.

You raise your weapon and get ready to strike as it stalks nearer, but your concentration is momentarily broken when you notice a wispy shadow emerging from the alcove on the far side of the hall. It is a Nadziranim sorcerer. Fearful of its purpose, you turn away from the furry creature and make a dash towards the ivory staircase, intent on reaching Banedon as quickly as possible. The stalking creature, thinking that you are running in fear, immediately gives chase and comes bounding towards you, determined to intercept you before you reach the steps.

(I use my bow)

You sheathe your weapon and unshoulder your Bow as you run towards the stairs. Once there, you draw an Arrow and take aim at the advancing creature. It halts, snarling defiantly, then, to your utter amazement, its furry chest undergoes a rapid metamorphosis. What was fur only a few seconds ago is now a shiny steel-hard shell.

(I aim at its head. I roll a 8 and then add 8. )

The creature tries to dodge your speeding shaft but it is too slow. The Arrow skewers its lower jaw, causing the beast to shriek out loudly in pained surprise. However, despite this fearful wounding, it does not break off its attack. With chilling disregard for pain, it wrenches the Arrow from its jaw and hurls it aside. Unnerved by this display of bravado, you shoulder your Bow as, with a gurgling shriek, the beast comes bounding forwards. You get ready to meet its advance yet, when it is but ten feet away, it suddenly opens its bloodstained mouth wide and spews forth a stream of white-hot liquid fire.

(I do not have Grand Nexus. I try to dodge and roll a die. 5 + 3 for Grand Huntmastery)

Your lightning-fast reflexes save you from being hit by the searing stream of liquid fire. Several droplets splash your tunic and it catches alight (lose 1 ENDURANCE point), but you quickly extinguish the flames. Coolly you raise your weapon and stare the creature defiantly in the eye as it gets ready to pounce.

Talons spring from the creature's forepaws and its sharp teeth glint like polished knives as it comes leaping through the air towards you.

Vodak: CS 44, EP 52

I use Kai-Surge. I roll a 4. It takes 12 and me 3. I rock a 7 and it takes 18 and me 1. A 2 follows and I hit for 10 and take 3. Then I roll a 7 again and it is rocked for another 18. It dies and I took 8.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote