View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #389
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of The Captives of Kaag. This story was just off. There are many times when I felt the passage as asking for the wrong skill, like Hunting for Tracking, Hunting for Camouflage and so forth. It’s off. I rescued a guy. Still not a major thing. I also like how a simple Zadziranim can be harder to kill than a Darklord.

I know that in each series you have problems. In order to place you in danger, and to give you some difficulty, they have to require certain skills, which you already had in previous adventures to do the same thing. For example, in Shadow on the Sand, while fleeing from Maouk, you use Tracking and sense that a road has a dead end. Tracking. Not even Pathsmanship, but tracking. Yet you cannot tell that a path here has a dead end unless you use Grand Huntmastery. You regularly wind up in places where you have no idea of which direction to go, but that happened very rarely in the previous series because you almost always had Tracking, Pathsmanship, Sixth Sense or Divination as a help. Here you rarely have any help at all. His happens all of the time for game reasons, but it makes for a bad story. Oh, and Joe Dever lied He said Telegnosis helped with spirit-walk, but it appears to be the same Sixth Sense skill as before. And Grand Nexus helps in Mind Over Matter despite the fact that the skill’s description has no such mention.

Why didn’t I need the Golden Amulet to survive the Darklands? Isn’t that a bit of a plot hole?

End of The Captives of Kaag

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote