View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #3699
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Some of us just don't think it's as big of a problem as you do. For example, a while back you scoffed at the idea that anyone would get prosecuted for insider trading when the SEC demonstrably has it as one of their top priorities and are constantly prosecuting people for it. Do a crapton of people still get away with it? Absolutely, but that's true of pretty much every law on the books - our desire to make laws is far stronger than our desire to enforce them and it has been since at least before Prohibition and perhaps forever.

I agree with GrantDawg that it doesn't past the smell test for a few thousand in campaign contributions to get this done here. I also agree with you that there's a lot of issues in ignoring white-collar crime. Just saying that we should see the problems for what they are, not what IMO is a grossly exaggerated caricature.

I know most people don't think it's a problem. Looting a store for some Nike shoes is a big problem that requires the National Guard. Destroying $30 trillion in the world's wealth through massive fraud is not a big deal.

Wonder why one gets a pass and the other gets folks with bayonets on their guns?