View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #485
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So you get internet from AT&T what is that download speed 100mbps 300? Where I live I have only one option over 100mbps and that is Xfinity. I get get tv,internet 600 mbps and landline phone service. My elderly mom lives with us and she wants a landline plus by adding it they upgraded my speed options from max of 200 mbps to 600. If I was to drop them all and just get internet I am back to 100mbps and with 5 teenagers and my wife and I all on video calls for school and work that won’t work ugh.

Thanks for asking, made me check ...

I live in suburbia, north of Atlanta. When we first moved in Comcast was all there was. About 4-5 years ago, we would read posts in our neighborhood FB about moving to AT&T, dropping land line etc. When I called Comcast then, they put me through to their "special line" where they offered me a deal to stay (and then somehow the price goes back up later on). I think about 2-3 years ago we just committed to get out and had fun with their "special line" dept when we just kept on saying "no thanks".

So we took the plunge with AT&T. I've got the Internet 100 plan for $50 a month. It is 1TB download and 100 Mbps speed. I just ran speedtest.net and got download 94.79 and upload 94.30.

But get this, I went into AT&T just now to see what other plans they offer in my area ... and they now have a 1000 Mbps, "unlimited" plan for $50. So an upgrade in speed and data with no price difference supposedly.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I'm reading this right.

FWIW, when we had both kids in the house and all 4 of us were using wireless plus another 2-3 devices connected, there would be complaints about it being slow. Not all the time but it did come up. However, I noticed I really didn't notice anything if I was on my desktop which had a cat-5 connected to the router.

So my theory was that the router wasn't able to keep up with the "wi-fi" part and it wasn't necessarily the Mbps. So possibly, 100 Mbps may be good enough for your family but get the latest and greatest router and wi-fi extender? Just my 2c.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote