View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #223
Izulde
Head Coach

GRE Week is upon us. Thursday afternoon is the scheduled test time. Despite all the horror stories I've heard about the Revised GRE, my impression is that the Verbal sections appear easier now, as they got rid of the need to memorize esoteric vocabulary in the analogies and focused on the more pragmatic qualities of sentence equivalence.

The Quantitative section remains as brutal as ever, however, and I'm going in to it thoroughly expecting I'll get my tail kicked on it. Not that it matters overly much - the Verbal and Writing portions are what's important.

Nor is the GRE that critical for PhD in Creative Writing programs. Much as is the case with the MFA, the bulk of weight falls on the creative and critical manuscripts.

I also applied for a promising sabbatical position at an independent high school for this spring, but I haven't heard back yet, which leads me to believe that's out, and I'll be back at UNLV for one final semester. Not a bad thing if that happens - I'm spared moving hassles and my health insurance, which kicks in December 1st, will have continuity then.

The three PhD programs I'll be applying to, in order of ranking:

2. Florida State
I know someone in the PhD program right now, as well as a few alumni from Florida State in English and Creative Writing. They've all spoken glowingly of their experiences and the faculty there. I've gotten used to this warm weather thing, and though I hated the South after Arkansas, Florida to me has always been distinct from the rest of the region in ways that I actually enjoy the state.

8. Cincinnati
Really, Izulde? The Midwest you wanted so much to stay out of permanently? Well... yes. Four year program and all PhD in Creative Writing students are guaranteed to teach creative writing at some point during the degree. There's also a 1-1 teaching load, which is a huge draw for me, having done the 2/2 teaching load, and in the midst of 4/4. Plus, I really like the vision of the campus administration and the direction the university is going. Rather reminds me of UNLV in a lot of ways, which has drawn praise for how the administration is positioning and growing the university.

15. SUNY-Albany
I've always wanted to live somewhere out East for a while, ever since I was in high school. Like Florida State, I know someone in the PhD program here and they love it. It's also someone whose opinions about this sort of thing I highly respect, and whose creative writing and critical analysis are on the same wavelength as mine. Plus, Albany seems like an awesome city to live in for a few years from everything I've read.

Obviously, this will all be dependent on both getting into programs and, most importantly, getting funding. Why only three? Most of the PhD in Creative Writing programs are in the Midwest, and Cincinnati's is the only one that appealed to me enough to go back there. A lot of the non-Midwest programs require both the GRE General and the GRE Subject test, and I had absolutely no interest in putting in the time and expense for two exams, particularly given my likely post-degree career.

Either way, come next fall, I will no longer be in Las Vegas. If I don't get into a PhD program with funding, I'll be at an independent high school, and am already working on applying with two of the major agencies and preparing for the hiring season that starts in earnest in December.

Like I told my mom the other day, no matter what happens, I'm fine with it. If I get into a program with funding, awesome. If I don't, it simply wasn't meant to be, and while I'll be disappointed, I'll have the fun prospect of living somewhere else and getting started on a new career.

But I'm done with Las Vegas. There have been great things about living here, and terrible things. Long-term, the terrible things outweigh the great things, but I won't go into further detail than that. Suffice it to say that for me personally, I can't stay in this city much longer.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote