View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 04:21 AM   #237
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I'm glad you're landing okay and are doing meaningful work. Don't be scared by it, though. Just do what you do and it'll work itself out or at least, if you're gonna doubt yourself, do it at home and with your friends...not with your coworkers. Be willing to learn, but don't hesitate to contribute and show them what you're made of.

It's at least advice I wish I'd gotten during those times. Good luck.

Thanks It's good advice to keep in mind. As it turned out, my first day had some major wow moments.

By the end of the day, I was put in charge of two nationwide press releases, had talked to a very heavy hitter in the standup comedy world, and identified opportunities for my company's social media profile and visibility.

Perhaps best of all, at the end of the workday, my boss said, "You know, you remind me of my friend who went to Princeton for undergrad and Oxford for grad school." (Cue my heart breaking as those two schools are the most loved, and I still regret not applying to the former). "He also did Creative Writing for his masters, and now he's making a living as a writer for a lot of publications. And the funny thing is, even though it's journalism, he writes absolutely beautiful pieces, where his creative writing background comes through. You can become that."

Boss further went on to remark, "Public relations is about two things: the quality of the story, and the relationships. You already have the writing down. It's just a matter of building those relationships, and we'll work on getting you those while you're here, for when you're ready to move on."

One last thing - a little thrill of pleasure shot through me when the boss was talking to the heavy hitter and said, "Yeah, Izulde is our new PR guy, and I want you to talk to him about a press release that we're making national."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote