View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
kcarr
High School JV

To open up the draft, after quite a bit of consideration, I went with Raymond Conner. The DT came in rated a 46 with an 84 potential and was considered very underrated. Disappointed it will not let me move him to DE but still should be a great anchor to the defense at NT and I will likely play him at DE some even if I can't change the position.

New Orleans came out and took QB Darnell Mills 2nd overall, 14/68, who was one of my targets. He, as I said, can likely be a long term answer at QB but won't be the game changer that I wanted.

Chicago went with Roy Bensen, the WR I was after, 3rd overall, and he was rated as a 48/71 to start, again a very good player and may show up more in the stat lines than my pick, but I feel like my pick will provide a better foundation.

Fernando Rasmussen, the CB I liked, fell to the 9th pick and the 3rd CB going to Cleveland. As a 40/70 overall he looks like he could be a very good player but again short of elite.

Darnell Howe, the other DT I liked, fell to the 14th pick and will be good value for Buffalo as a 48/66 overall.

To lead off the 2nd round I went with Washington State defensive end Tyrone Kelly, 27/63. At 6'4" 291 lbs he is a good fit for the 3-4 that we run. He shows a good balance of pass rush and run defense with the intangibles in play recognition and a solid motor to be a difference maker on the line. Our team will still suck going forward but this defensive line is coming together nicely.

Starting the 3rd round I went with C Frank Lehan from Virginia Tech, 23/62. He looks like a well balanced center and I feel as though it is important to get starters at least 3 rounds deep each year and he seemed like a perfect fit for that. This also fits the building from the inside out strategy that I have taken on here which will build us up for long term success.

In the 4th round I did not see anyone who stood out but a lot of guys I kinda wanted. As such I went ahead and talked to Washington and moved down to the 20th pick in the round adding their 5th and 7th in doing so.

At the 4.20 pick I went with the guy I had been eyeing at the top of the 1st, Gilbert Dodge 20/66, a LT from Notre Dame. Getting a potential 4th long term starter, and at a very valuable position.

At the top of the 5th I went with my first non lineman, OLB Adrian Arteaga 17/59, from Alabama. He looks like a potentially effective rush LB and ran a sub 4.5 40 at the combine.

At my 5.20 pick I added TE Joe Becker 27/48, from Boston College. He stood out with 33 bench reps at the combine and looks like a solid pass catcher who could be my team's receiving leader, at least until I find a WR.

At the top pick of the 6th round I went with a QB I had targeted early hoping to at least have a viable player at the position. DeAndre Henson from Missouri has decent size at 6'2" and 213 lbs and has what I saw as a good skill set for a late QB, especially with short, long, deep passes, reading defense, and running a 2 minute offense but I did not expect the 32/73 overall. He may not have anyone to throw to but he is at least good enough to give us some hope.

In the 7th I opened up the round with Colorado LB Gene Correia 27/51. He looks like a solid run stuffing LB who could very well lead the team in tackles and I am very happy to be adding this level of talent this late in the draft. He should be a real leader to this defense going forward and a solid linebacker starting for several years.

At 7.20 I went with a guy I had picked out as my last pick from the beginning as I could see he was a steal but was widely seen as a UDFA level talent. I could have waited and tried to sign him as such and probably could have gotten him but I wanted the 4 year contract on him. Tommy Criswell 23/75, a cornerback from Tennessee, is great in man coverage and has elite ball skills as well as being a strong run defender and should be an elite CB for a long time, especially only being 20 years old.
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote