View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #195
molson
General Manager

My fun travel hack for the day.

I always book international award flights as far in advance as I can - usually 9-10 months depending on the airline. Over that time, you'll usually get a few schedule changes and a re-booked itinerary. When that happens, you usually get to change your itinerary for free to anything you want (as long as departure and destination are the same) - even an itinerary that costs way more than the one you got originally.

You might have to call in to get someone that can approve such a change and politely insist on the better specific alternative itinerary you found - don't rely on the ones they offer. And they might only change it for free it was a significant schedule change. I just had one this week where my 3 hour layover in Istanbul was re-booked to a negative 9 1/2 hour layover. As in our connecting flight was leaving 9+ hours before we even arrived. I can't run fast enough to make that one. I went through the online chat, told them the alternative itinerary I wanted, waited a while for supervisor approval, and then finally got re-booked on a much better itinerary for the trip out that would cost 120,000 points if I booked it today, whereas I only spent 33,000 points.

Last edited by molson : 07-21-2022 at 05:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote