View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have thoughts on travel medical insurance?

I'm going to be in Europe for a couple of weeks and trying to decide if I should get it or not. When you look it up in Google or Duck Duck Go, you get a lot of articles saying "of course you should" right next to their disclaimer that there are paid affiliate links for their recommendations so not exactly and unbiased source. And, of course, if you ask, say Forbes, if you should spend your money on something they're hawking, the answer will always be "yes".

But I can't nail down how much medical care costs if I get injured. Can I go to the state hospitals? What will it cost? That sort of thing. I'm in fine-ish shape with no major issues or medications. But if I get in a car accident or whatever, that's going to require medical care. However, if it's going to cost me, say $1000 for a hospital visit and not $50K like in the US, why would I bother paying $500 for health insurance when... I could just use that $500 to pay for half of my hospital bill that I may or may not need. Like that extra $500 isn't going to be a big deal. But if it's going to cost me $50K, then the $500 is totally worth it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote