View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1948-49 Providence Steamrollers

The season starts out with four new teams: Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, and Rochester. Washington and Baltimore move into the Eastern Conference, and all the expansion teams are in the west. Our budget was increased for the season to $63,980, so I think we can compete. Our scout and an assistant coach had their contracts expire, and another assistant retired. I hired a former assistant with Chicago. I also hired Roy Hutton, who coached Pittsburgh to the first NBA title. He may be a head coach in waiting here. Also, Pittsburgh's former GM is now my new scout.

We started the season with only six players under contract, and I have to expose one of them to the expansion draft. Fulks, Freddie, and Gilmur are out of the question, so that leaves Thurston, Martin, or Toomay. Of those three, I think Toomay is the most expendable, so he gets exposed. He gets taken by Ft. Wayne with the third pick of the expansion draft.

In the rookie draft, we pick 11th. George Mikan goes first overall to Philly. I choose a 32 year old C from Manhattan named Jake Pelkington. With my second round pick, I take 24 year old Bob Brown, a power forward from Miami (OH).

In free agency, we need players, as we've only got seven under contract. We only have about $7600 in cap space, so I have to be a little frugal. I re-signed Wallace Sydnor to the league minimum. I also signed Nat Frankel, a 34 year old small forward to a league minimum contract. He's played with New York and Cleveland the last two seasons. I then signed Walt Miller, a 33 year old shooting guard who has been with Chicago his whole career. He was an all defensive first teamer in 1946, so taking a chance with another minimum contract seems prudent. I singed power forward Bob John Duffy to a two year minimum contract. He played limited time over the last two years with Boston and Pittsburgh. I finished off the free agency period signing rookie SG Fred Lewis out of Eastern Kentucky to a one year contract. In terms of former players, John Murphy went to Indy, John Norlander went to Philly, Ralph Siewert went to Rochester, and Ray Wertis signed with Minneapolis.

Our starting lineup to begin the season is Pilkington, Gilmur, Fulks, Thurston, and Scolari. We actually had a good preseason, going 4-2. Early in the season, I signed Gilmur to a 5 year, $61,759 deal. His rebounding is excellent, and he is one of my core players. Thurston broke his foot in late November, so I brought John Murphy back as insurance. We finished November at 7-3, good enough for first place, 1.5 games in front.

In December, I made my first trade, trading little used Bob John Duffy to Indianapolis for C Irv Rothenberg. We were scorching hot in December, finishing the month at 16-4, 4.5 games in front of the rest of the field.

Right before the All Star game, I got a trade offer from Washington. They wanted to trade C Joe Mills, one of the best in the league, for Freddie. I thought long and hard on this one. I finally turned it down. He's my favorite player, and point guard is the one position we don't have good depth. Freddie and Fulks represented us in this year's All Star game. We finished February at 26-10, a full seven games in front of Philly.

March earned Thurston a much deserved contract extension: $4260 over five years. He immediately rewarded me by getting injured the next game. His value shows, as we went 3-4 during the time he was hurt. March ended with us at 36-14, nine games up on Philly. Fulks won player of the month as well.

April wasn't great for us, but our lead was big enough. We finished the season 42-18, winning the division for the first time. Fulks (35.0/10.9/1.7) and Freddie (21.5/5.9/3.3) were both named All NBA first team. Coach Truman Moore won coach of the year for the second time. George Mikan won both MVP and Rookie of the Year. Once again, Fulk led the league in scoring, with Freddie in fifth. Freddie's career high in assists was good for fourth in the league. Rookie Jake Pelkington led the team in rebounds with 11.0.

We got the first round bye, and watched Philly take care of Boston 3-1. Philly shocked us in game 1, winning 108-89. We got revenge in game 2, winning 112-99. Game 3 also went their way 110-95. Our defense didn't show up again in game 4, as we lost 131-101. We needed a miracle. We stayed alive in game 5 by winning 106-91, but Pelkington was injured. Philly completed the upset in game 6, winning 92-85. Having the best record in the league was not enough. Philly continued their hot play, sweeping last years champion St. Louis to win their first championship.

After the season we had, it was pretty disappointing to flame out in the playoffs, but I think the team is positioned well to make another run next season.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote