View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #86
Radii
Head Coach

Fast Duration: 205 hours (8 1/2 days)

Weight: 290.6
Blood Sugar: 56

Yesterday was rough. A few years ago before I got into physical therapy and mindfulness and got a lot of my issues sorted out I was going down a fairly bad path, and felt under a ton of stress all the time, I developed a nervous tic that was pretty bad/annoying and was stress related. It mostly went away once I got those issues under control. Yesterday afternoon that nervous tic started happening non stop. I brought it up in the fasting discord and got a response of "oooo, that's a cleansing process, just let it happen!"

There is a tendency in some things like this that can reach "fad status" and seem to go against the norm to not see any negatives ANYWHERE. In this case EVERYTHING is "healing" or "cleansing". Nah man, sometimes your body tells you that's all for now, simple as that. There is something to "cleansing" though. For someone like me who gained weight over a very long period of time and who has been fat for a long time, there's a lot of shit stored in fat cells that's been there for decades, and unusual responses ARE possible when some of that gets released. When I first started having deep tissue massage in physical therapy after having let my back tighten up for a decade of sitting + inactivity, there were a couple times where - an hour after a massage - I would have a crazy out of nowhere emotional reaction, a huge wave of sadness or something. I discussed this with my psychologist and she said that is a thing that definitely happens to a lot of people and the idea that you are "releasing" some emotional shit that was going on that got stored up whenever the physical problem started is actually a thing. I'm good with that theory.

So there's SOMETHING to the idea of "cleansing", but at the same time, its not the answer to everything. You know what else happens during a fast? Your cortisol levels go up. Cortisol = stress hormone. So maybe I've just hit my limit to what I can handle this time around as far as the hormonal changes that come during a fast.

I had to go do a very small bit of stuff in the yard last night, like 10-15 minutes of work outside, and I was just overwhelmingly tired after it. Because of the earlier stress reaction? Or because this is my body telling me that its time to end the fast?

I've dealt with a few issues on this fast but most of them were temporary (no longer than 1 hour). This was quite different. In the end, I decided to just go to bed early, and see if things are different today. So far today I feel fine, but, my experience with fasting so far is that when I'm gonna have issues, they're going to come later in the afternoon or early evening.

If anything happens today, that will be my signal to end the fast.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote