View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #232
Radii
Head Coach

Wow, it sounds like a rough couple of weekends for the FOFC Parents here. Glad to hear that everyone is doing okay after some traumatic situations.

To boost up the mood around here a bit, Anthony had his first soccer game Saturday. He's moved up from U8 to U10 and the difference is staggering. I've been the assistant coach on this team and last season's. Last year it wasn't until after 6 or 7 games before we had any hope of the kids playing their positions, and even then only about half the team truly understood their position and role in that position. This year from the very first scrimmage 7 of our 10 kids understand their position at least reasonably well and have a good idea of what they're supposed to be doing.

We have a great head coach(I never played soccer growing up, so I just follow along w/ what the coach is doing) and I've learned something new myself about the game at nearly every practice.

It'll be an interesting season, as the coach stuck Anthony in defense for two quarters Saturday. Its going to take some time to turn Anthony into a defender. He knows his position, but he follows the ball, not the other men. He'll trail the ball up to the midfield stripe and have no idea that he just left two of the opposing players behind him with no one between them and the keeper. He'll learn though. He's a good athlete and is agressive enough that he'll be good wherever he ends up playing.

Development is so quick at this age that its a ton of fun to watch. Now, if he'll just behave at school so we don't have to deal with negative behavior reports every Friday afternoon...
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote