View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #497
QuikSand
lolzcat

Offseason Notes:

Okay, first stage is ready to go. We were spared on the retirement side - just S Collins packed it up.

Roster reset: 42 players signed, $104m (about 16%) in cap space
RFA signees: CB Cooley ($7m), WR Haskell (min), QB Goodwin (min)
Need extensions: G Dielman ($20m), WR Guthrie? ($5m), T Woolford? ($20m)

Priorities for playing time:
-DB we are solid, but I'd like to add one quality player, ideally young S
(grumble grumble, I had the guy and let him get away)
-LB we are very old here, really want to add a long term starter
-RB Phelps is winding down, I'd like a successor or complement
-TE we are okay, but a guy to vault to obvious TE1 would be great

So, drafting at pick 29, my best guess is I'll be looking on defense for either a DB or LB with our first pick, unless there's a no brainer BPA. Of course, always open to steering off the trail for a skill position guy WR/QB who falls farther than expected. Last year that got us WR Victor Lester, who now looks like a long term WR3, and I passed on this no-zone CB who now looks like a tough piece to place on the board. We'll see.

With renegotiations and extensions pending, I don't think I will have the cap space to make any major moves in free agency - will always be looking for good high-chemistry fits here are there, but I doubt we will land any seriously big fish. If there's a $20m DB out there who can play for three years for us, that might be the ceiling effort.

time passes...

Okay, looks like in free agency I might find a veteran or two at DB/LB to help out, and that could free us up to be more flexible pursuing BPA in the early draft. That's fine. I really don't see a ton of free agents I want, so this might be an odd year when we only carry 55-60, instead of 65-70, into training camp.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote