View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 AM   #65
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Updates...
  • All seeds have arrived in the mail or have been purchased locally, I think. I'll do an inventory soon to make sure.
  • Planting the first batch of kale tomorrow, most likely.
  • I tilled the entire vegetable area (roughly 700 sq ft) in a couple of hours Wednesday afternoon, and I'm glad I did. I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I covered that area with leaves as a winter mulch. Well, the leaves were quite a bit more matted/stuck together than I'd realized. (Many were not shredded, but whole leaves.) With that, combined with the mostly-but-not-fully-finished compost on top of it, I think some mixing may well have been in order. I got that all mixed up well and the tiller did a fine job of breaking up the leaves into smaller pieces in preparation for...
  • ...Yesterday, where I bought ~1500 European Night Crawlers from a local worm farm and put them all in the vegetable area. Per the suggestion of the worm farmer I dug six holes, spaced throughout the garden, where I buried kitchen scraps and put a concentration of worms in those--hoping for some breeding--and then spread the rest of them all over. I'm hoping they'll accelerate/complete the breakdown of the leaves and unfinished compost for me.
  • I know I keep saying it, but I'm still utterly stunned at the progress of the garlic. I'll get another pic on tomorrow. (Rain all day today.)